preparing for a showing
Inside the home
- De-clutter -This is the most important tip. A cluttered home doesn’t present well and can also make spaces appear much smaller.
- Depersonalize – Family portraits, offensive art and sports team memorabilia should be put away when possible, or at least minimized
- Dust/Vacuum – This goes without saying but with today’s high resolution images the camera sees everything.
- Beds – Make all beds, align bed skirts, and fluff pillows.
- Clean Kitchen Sink – Put away all sponges soaps etc.
- Clear Kitchen Counters – Put away blenders, toasters, coffee makers etc.
- Clear Bathroom Counters – Put away any and all personal items.
- Shower – Remove all soap/shampoo bottles, razors etc.
- Towels – Leave guest towels out and hide all others.
- Trash Cans – Hide!
- Refrigerator – Remove all magnets or decorations.
- Pets – Hide any water/food bowls and toys.
- Toilet Seats – Place all of them down.
- Light Bulbs – Replace any burnt out light bulbs. More light the better.
- Dining Room Table – If you have nice place settings, place them out neatly.
- Vases – Fresh flowers or other decorations that make the home inviting without cluttering.
Outside of The Home
- Lawn Trimmed – Neatly trimmed and manicured lawns always present better.
- Animals – Clean up after any pets.
- De-clutter – Remove any trash cans, water hoses, tools, toys etc.
- Yard Decorations – Remove any yard decorations such as pink flamingos, etc.
- Driveway/Walkways – Sweep leaves and yard clippings. Pressure wash if needed.
- Pool – Remove security gate, clean pool, remove toys and vacuum.
- Exterior Lighting – if early evening showing make sure lights are on
- Umbrellas – Open patio umbrellas or awnings.
- Grill – Uncover grill and hide cover.
- Lights – Turn on all interior lights even under cabinet lighting.
- Fireplace – Light all fireplaces if possible and reasonable.
- Blinds – Open all shades, blinds and curtains. You want to let in as much light as possible.
- Cars – Remove all vehicles from driveway and if possible keep from parking them in front of the house.
- Animals – Remove animals if possible, if people are allergic to animals they will leave, if they like animals they will be distracted.
- Lee B